Friday 5 July 2013

THE dress is in!

Loud shrieks apparently were heard in the Newburn area transmitted via the telephone line  , when A and J rang Lucy to tell her that THE dress had arrived.

So “we” tootled down to their original shop on the main street in Newburn ( if you remember when we first visited them they were temporarily housed in the former Warmseal unit) So we oh’d and ah’d as we progressed through their real home base. It’s a very good set up and every bit as welcoming as our first visit.
Lucy then asked if I wanted to see her in THE dress – or did I want the full reveal on THE day. I think/know there’s going to be so much emotion on THE day that it was best for me to have an idea of what my beautiful daughter is going to look like. That said there are some alterations to be made so I would not be seeing the final version until THE day.

Alison and Julie were just a delightful as we remembered, and quickly took Lucy behind the lush curtain screen to begin undressing/dressing her.  As MOTB,  I waited patiently on the quiet side of the screen. I was entertained by the usual comments about pop up on the step, tucking Lucy’s boobs in and tying her up tight! I heard Julie saying, “Lucy it is so pretty, no it’s not just pretty it’s amazing! And not just the dress – YOU are so pretty.” I admit I had a tear.
The Bride peeped through a narrow gap in the curtains with a very wide smile.



And then the silver curtains parted and there she was. A sparkling vision. I was blown away. I could remember the dress from January but this was the real deal. This is the one she will actually walk down Hexham Abbey aisle in, the one she will say I do in...the one she will boogie on down in. I had another quick emotional wobble and then went for a tour around the dress. It is so beautiful. I won’t say any more best not to give anything away.
One of the conversations, once Lucy was into the dress, was about the use of a framed petticoat. Apparently it stops your legs getting tangled in the layers of the dress so Brides don’t have to kick the material forward to walk, and it stops the layers riding up generally making it much easier to walk/glide in. So Lucy was fitted with such a petticoat and sure enough, she found it much easier to glide. As Alison told us, for the big day - no one goes out of here kicking and hitching!

So what’s next? The dress goes to a local dressmaker for the few alterations. The Bridesmaids have to learn how to fasten Lucy into it. And then about a week THE big day, we need to collect it.

A by product of this very exciting visit, was that I turned into Cinderella. Hard to believe but hold that thought. As previous blog I mentioned my funny feet, and how finding my shoes could be an issue. Both my daughter and honest advisor Jeanette have told me in no uncertain terms, “you don’t want to look like a frump”. Thanks!


Well, beautifully displayed in A&J Bridalwear is a section of shoes, bags , tiaras and other wedding day accessories. I was encouraged to try on some of the “most comfortable, best sellers” . A proper shoe (!) with a little heel that has MOTB comfort built in. The shoes can be dyed any colour to match and compliment the outfit. While I was testing them around the shop floor, I spied some handbags which were the same i.e you can have them dyed. So there you have it – what a successful morning. Lucy’s dress is here, and I got my shoes and bag sorted. Where is that spreadsheet? What’s next!

No comments:

Post a Comment