Friday 15 November 2013

Penultimate post. The BIG day Part 3 Close House wedding breakfast in the afternoon and evening do!

We three - Neil, Richard and I travelled in the rain to Close House in the Qashqai, something of a come down from Mel’s much loved Jag!
On arrival we immediately seemed to be drawn into a whirl of activity. First on my list (even before my welcome Bucks Fizz) was for MOTB and her technical advisor to check that the laptop (for my multi media speech!) and microphone (for my quiet voice) were both functioning fine.  Next we added some glitter hearts and purple petals to each table, as the Bride had forgotten to bring this to Close House the day before. Hannah Wildflower’s table arrangements were simply stunning, White hydrangeas and white roses in mirrored vases set on a mirror tile and surrounded by 4 little tea lights, they looked so beautiful.

All of the reception rooms looked impressive. The decor is deliciously opulent, beautiful silvers and gold with sparkling mirrors and dazzling chandeliers. So we mingled with guests, at last putting faces to some of Mark’s family names - and still I didn’t manage to down my Bucks Fizz!

As the rain continued to pour down outside, most guests had arrived and been dropped off at the main door.  The next task was to pose for a few photographs inside. However, as they say, the sun shines on the righteous and we were blessed later with about half an hour of glorious sunshine.
Photographers Chrissy and Nigel  http://www.2tonephotography.co.uk/#home/  who had been  excellent at keeping things moving along and getting people lined up, had also been keeping a watchful eye on the weather and succeeded in doing the “everybody on this one” photo taken outside. They had told Lucy and Mark that the biggest compliment to them was when couples tell them that they hardly notice them being around. And that was so true, and “we” know that when the images come back they will give such a memorable record of the occasion.



Kelly, "our" excellent on the day event organiser, got Lucy and Mark to start greeting all guests in the line up, and then we knew breakfast wouldn’t be long.  As guests made their way to the tables, they were guided by the table plan.
The plan detailed the table names which reflected both Newcastle and Middlesbrough football “legends”. The choice of who made it to the list had been a great discussion over the few months before. Mark and his Dad deciding on the final 10 names, and Neil neatly writing them on the cards with his purple ink...


I have to say, the top table was somewhat squashed in to fit us all on. And rather unfortunately the bride in her thousand layers and me in my heavy lace dress were seated together next to radiator!! Talk about hot flushes...plenty of water required.!!

The wedding breakfast itself was spot on, with excellent service and all food was really delicious. Starting with red pepper and tomato soup, chicken wrapped in ham then strawberry drambuie cheesecake washed down with French La Brouette Plaimont white or red wine.

I had a couple of MOTB moments when looked out over the whole room. I surveyed the entire setting – from the top table I could see all of our friends and family joined together with our new family and new friends.  I considered all their own stories, everyone’s own lead up to the big day, be it their outfits or travel plans – all here to celebrate Lucy and Marks marriage.



To my left was Granny’s amazing creation of the three tiered wedding cake resplendent on the window sill.



When breakfast finished at around 5.30pm, the tables were cleared and all guests had been served a glass of fizz for toasts, as well as cups of tea or coffee and a little homemade chocolate! It was now time for the speeches. Mark’s cousin Ian who was acting as Master of Ceremonies, introduced this MOTB as “brilliant” – well I don’t know about that, but nice thought thank you..

And with all good speeches involving multi media there was a technical hitch. Neil’s advice “be prepared for it to fail” ringing in my ears! I thought I covered it well, meanwhile Neil was chuntering about some poor waiter who had put the lid down on the laptop. So while Neil sorted it out, I started...I was nervous but hope that it was delivered ok. Guests seemed to enjoy the mix of photos and musical clips.... next thing I knew, I was toasting Lucy and Mark, “May your life together always be filled with love, laughter and happiness” . Then thankfully it was time for a drink!


My Dad whose 81st birthday is on the same day, Lucy’s dear Grandpa then said a few words. Beautifully sentimental words, about his only granddaughter growing up – the bit that really got me was when he said how kind and lovely Lucy is, and the world would be a better place if more people were like her.

Mark was next, and made a brilliant job of it. He thanked everyone he needed to ( as he confessed to checking on google about a grooms speech and who to thank!) and then shared how much he loved Lucy, becoming quite emotional ( which he blamed his Mum for!)


And then it was the turn of the Best Man, Andrew – Marks long standing friend - who it transpired had shared many a sporting and social adventure growing up on Teesside. Where I had waxed lyrical about the fine setting of Hexham Abbey and Close House, Andrew opened with a comment about “It’s alright here, but it’s hardly the Transporter Bridge”..

We had a little break before the evening do. And on leaving the Mansion house, my MOTB hat was a popular choice for a few guests to try – Richard, Glenn ( Lucy’s colleague Doctor of Chiropractic ) and Graham, Rachel Chief bridesmaid’s hubby. Such fun! Sorry I still cant get all images the right way round!
























The brief break meant we could check in to the Courtyard rooms.  I was sharing with my Auntie Muriel, and Neil and Richard sharing another room. The rooms were amazing, and very luxurious. Danger time came when settling in, as I removed my shoes. There is no going back after that, is there? 
Anyway, by 8pm we were ready to hit the dancefloor, Richard desperate to meet up with his best buddy George who was accompanying Lucy’s 3 other adopted Mum's – Viv, Julie and Kris. Most evening guests had arrived at Number 19 function room and the disco was in full swing. It wasn't long before the cake was wheeled in, and cut to rousing cheers. Lucy and Mark then danced their first dance to Gary ( the singer/disco man) singing Take That “Rule the World” followed by Nat King Cole’s  “Unforgettable” . Ah bless..

Delicious bacon and sausage butties ( veggie versions too) were served with the wedding cake at around 9pm. Much appreciated sustenance for the hungry dancers and non dancers. MOTB busted a few dance moves, shoes abandoned under a table. 

My only one regret of the whole day was that Neil and I retired shortly after Granny and Auntie Muriel, at about 10.30pm and so missed much of the remaining fun. I make no excuses but it had been such a long day! 



So although sad to miss the further antics, we did however, have a lovely hour of debrief in PJ's with Auntie Muriel in our very comfortable room , while waiting up for Richard to come home! Really quite funny waiting up for our 14 year old son to come home!

And I have to say that once my very lacquered hair hit the scrumptiously soft pillow, that was me. MOTB no longer, over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment