Friday 15 November 2013

The final post – The morning after the day before

After an excellent night’s sleep, we all gathered for breakfast. It was lovely to see quite a few wedding guests in casual clothes, in various states of recovery from the night before. Breakfast proved to be a lovely time to share tales from the BIG day. The breakfast menu was, I have to say immense – I have never had Eggs Benedict before so plumbed for that. Yummy!

We caught up with Julie G our family friend who has loved and supported Lucy for over 15 years ,  Granny and Grandpa, Lucy’s godparents my “old” college friend Auntie Janet and Uncle Kevin, with Matthew and Katie; our friends and Richard’s godparents Uncle Richard and Auntie Susan, then  Lucy and Mark, John and Avril, Jo & Chris and Theo, Ian and Claire, Janette, Dickon and Jack to name a few.

After the best eggs ever, we were all needing to get packed up and head off in all directions. Parting with Lucy and Mark was actually the most emotional I had been all weekend. And I really did have a wobbly moment when we hugged to say goodbye, as they set off home before heading off to the Outer Hebrides. Could you really go any further away?

We had a car full of our bags and belongings, then the 5 men’s suits I had offered to return, Lucy’s dress all rolled up in a ball (Sorry Alison and Julie!), my well worn hat;  we had gift bags with wedding presents and envelopes, flowers , bridesmaids paraphernalia, an eclectic mix of car contents to form almost  the end of the wedding story.

We headed west on A69, home bound and being followed by Avril and John who had offered to collect Jo’s belongings left on Saturday morning. Then the surreal return entering home, our home looking like a bomb site. So funny as I consider on reflection, there was a table full of disguarded hair extensions, empty false eye lash boxes (!!!) there were  a lot of half drunk cups of tea and even more empty bucks fizz glasses and there were chairs on tables ( used by Chrissy the photographer). I went upstairs and there were five abandoned ( each bridesmaids) coat hangers , Lucy’s towels from the 6.15am shower, her toothbrush...more empty boxes of eyelashes(!!) It took the best part of the day to tidy and clear – which I found very therapeutic. As a completer finisher, the whole event wasn’t done until the last few things were ticked off.

The men’s suits were returned to Greenwoods – I hadn’t thought how I was going to get the 5 bulky suit cases back on my own, through the Metrocentre until I had a brain wave (in M&S car park) get a trolley and ignore the stares of those pesky Christmas shoppers! 



My beautiful MOTB hat was returned to Get Ahead hats via a garage outlet in Hexham - as Carol's son offers a return service saving the driving to Blanchland . And with that everything kind of returned to normal. Whatever normal is!

On the Sunday, as I stood on the sidelines of Richard’s football cup tie match and the autumn sun and blustery wind blew away any cobwebs I may have had..I thought so, here we are then end of the road! As Frank Sinatra might say, the final curtain.

 I had looked back over the blog posts this year, I am so glad I did capture it along the way. It has been such an adventure, such a joy along with some emotional rollercoaster rides.

I am not a writer, simply a Mum who loves her daughter and new son in law very much.  At around New Year 2013 I read the two quotes below and it gave me the courage to set up and write the blog. I hope you have enjoyed. I know I have. Thank you .

“If you do not express your own original ideas, if you do not listen to your own being, you will have betrayed yourself. Also you will have betrayed our community in failing to make your contribution to the whole”

And finally,

“Make visible what, without you, might never have been seen” Robert Bresson

No comments:

Post a Comment