Saturday 9 November 2013

The BIG day – part 1 from dawn to the drive to the Abbey

The big day dawned early, my first awareness being Lucy heading for a shower at around 6.15am. I followed my daily routine by listening to a guided positive mediation. The bit that hit home was “ This is the day that the Lord hath made”. And so , here we go and breathe...

Then it was ALL go...

7am the doorbell rang (exactly as the specified time on the trusty and now dog-eared spreadsheet) it was the lovely Claire here to start and do Lucy’s make up. They headed on the frosty morning, to the very chilly, bunting festooned, conservatory. While Lucy wanted to stay cool, poor Claire kept her shoes and coat on! I pottered making tea and laying out the food and drinks for our imminent houseful.
Chief Bridesmaid to Princess Lucy, Rachel arrived at 7.30am, closely followed by Mark’s sister Jo. More tea was made, although the chilled Bucks Fizz was beginning to make its way to the refreshments table.

It was about this point, that I have witnesses heard me say, I don't need the spreadsheet - it will all happen.

Bang on 8am the doorbell rang again (bang on schedule) this time being Lucy’s long standing hairdresser Sophie. And pretty swiftly, Lucy was made up and her hair styling begun. As I took my turn in the make up department, the house began to fill with the remainder of the bridesmaids. Sarah and Kate had had their hair done at Hexham salons who’d opened early specially for them, so arrived in casual clothes looking beautiful. Steph, Mum of flower girl Lola had arrived at her Mum’s late the night before from London, came to the house already dressed and made up.

Lucy’s good friend another Rachel (given the additional name of Cardiff Rachel to distinguish between her and Chief Bridesmaid) had stayed with us the night before, so bless her was invaluable as a “runner” between kitchen, various temporary beauty stations and upstairs when the girls were getting ready. I don't know how we would have managed without her.

Funnily enough, both Neil and Richard kept a very low profile. They were useful though when (as planned) Best Man Andrew called at 9.30am to collect the buttonholes. The flowers hadn’t quite arrived, so as Mark sat with his eyes covered in the car with Andrew’s wife Kirsty, they all decided to head off for a hearty breakfast in Hexham, and Neil would bring all the buttonholes to the Abbey. 

We then had about 1and a half hours of delightful flurry. Claire working her make up magic on four of us, and three hair dressers all doing their own magic with much hair spray ... My lovely Jeanette, arriving ahead of her time slot of 8.45am, spruced up the youngest ushers hair and as Claire was finishing my make up at 9am ( spot on schedule) Jeanette  announced she had to be back in her shop by 9.15am. She was joking but apparently my face was a picture until the penny dropped.

One of the surreal moments of the day ( of which there are many) was Richard dressed in full Usher attire playing his guitar. He was like a serenading minstrel.
Hannah Wildflower delivered the flowers – Lucy’s bouquet crammed full of white hydrangea, white and lilac roses. The girls silk bouquets were similar without the lilac roses. Stunningly simple and all exquisite.



And suddenly we were all made up, and jostling for space upstairs to get ready. Lucy had her bridesmaids on call to help get her into her dress. I had to slip by them on the landing to get to my dressing room, as I had to wait for the full reveal of the dress; they all hid Lucy with towels (!) so I could get through.

Getting ready on my own, with all the girls bustling around Lucy was an odd experience. I quietly slipped into Auriole’s creation. With my hair and make up done, I was ready. All the time, I was very calm, very happy. Should I be more emotional? No, my daughter is so happy so why be any different.
A gaggle of bridesmaids  (not sure what the correct collective noun is for bridesmaids) gathered at the bottom of the stairs and the Bride – my daughter, my baby came downstairs. She was a vision of gorgeousness. Words can hardly describe..

And then after a few photographs with the charming Chrissy, part of the double act photography team, the first car ( with Daddy Mel – see previous blog) full of bridesmaids set off for the Abbey. At this point I realised that of course when Lucy and I left the house, none of us would be back till Sunday so whatever didn’t get put away now would be left out – what a mess. But such a lovely mess.
Once the second car of bridesmaids had gone it was just me and Lucy, a few precious moments to share before giving her away. We both agreed, no tears. Just both very happy, Lucy deliberating about her shoes till the last minute..


Mel arrived back and then we realised getting this beautiful lady and her many layers of a dress into the car might not be as elegant as we’d first imagined. Anyway, once Lucy was in, I got in and had to lean my head to one side to save the Blanchland ostrich feathers from being too bent. We did our short trip to the Abbey, feeling like the Queen and her princess waving at the Saturday morning shoppers. Children pointing at the car mouthing, Oh look there’s a bride. My daughter.

And then we were there, heading into the back of this ancient place of Christian worship to walk down the ailse together. And breathe..




No comments:

Post a Comment