Saturday 5 January 2013

Nothing prepares you for parenthood....


There are many things as a parent that one feels unprepared for, and being asked for your only daughters hand in marriage is one of them. Way back in May 2012 Mark rang me during the daytime, he’d never rung me ever in two years of knowing him, so maybe I should have thought something was up!

Mark was very polite, and after some initial small talk he told me that he would like to take Lucy away for a treat the following day to a Hotel in the Lake District to celebrate finishing his exams. He then said while he was away he would like my permission to ask her to marry him. Yikes! I said things like “Wow, that’s wonderful” and “I’m delighted” – I am not actually sure that I said the word yes...

Anyway, I had then to keep the biggest secret ever for more than 24 hours from my beautiful unsuspecting daughter. It was a tough task as we do share pretty much everything! 

And then we had to wait on tenter hooks until they rang, actually it was Facetime as no mobile signal from the secluded Lake District Hotel....to share the exciting news. Mark had given Lucy the most gorgeous diamond solitaire white gold ring. A classic beauty – and a perfect fit for Lucy.

Mark had gone down on one knee while playing Take That song “ Rule the World” and asked the question, Lucy said YES and suddenly I’m the Mother of the Bride!

1 comment: