Wednesday 30 October 2013

Speech!

When Lucy asked me a long time ago, to give her away ( well loan her away  , you know what I mean) she also said I was welcome to do a MOTB speech. I agreed, and have over the past months being putting together a few words to toast the Bride and Groom.

 I did laugh when I perused the wedding etiquette booklet (referred to in previous blogs) as clearly in the early 1960’s – it would have been unthinkable for any lady at the wedding to speak. Let alone the MOTB.





So taking the place of traditional Father of the Bride – the etiquette booklet says I must “Toast the health and happiness of the Bride and Groom” (TICK) ...”at an opportune moment half way through the feast” ( I do hope Close House’s delicious three courses match up the expectation of a feast. No wonder I am not sleeping!) Also – Mark wants all the speeches at the end of the meal, so no tick there on the opportune moment. The Bride in one of her  recent “ Chill Mum” moments, told me that they are so cool with the speeches that it can be any order , and don’t have to follow any etiquette! David Monks the publisher of the book would spin in his grave!

I was therefore very amused, when I then read
“The Bride usually contents herself with a smiling expression of thanks, if she wishes, to the first toast.”  I sincerely hope that this Bride will be smiling with thanks all the way through!

Technology permitting, I hope to start the speeches off with some MOTB girl power , utilising several media! Of course this girl only has the power, if her techie hubby completes the presentation for a seamless speech. ( again, I refer to my temporary insomnia)


Last weekend, I enlisted the help of my friend Anne, to listen to the first run through. And am now practicing it as much as I can, whenever I can so that if emotions ( I say if, as it is bound to be when!) overtake me, I will be able to carry on!! And then the boys take over. And I will have my first drink(s) of the day. Not long now.....

No comments:

Post a Comment